Married to a man with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)?
While it may be a myth that 80% of autism family couples end in divorce, that doesn’t mean the relationships are without challenges.
In this article we take a practical look at how to navigate the marital challenges that come in marriage to a spouse with an autism spectrum disorder.
In This Article
About the Authors
This article is based on scientific evidence and clinical experience, written by licensed professionals and fact-checked by experts.
Autism Spectrum Disorder in Marriage
If you find yourself in Ashley’s shoes, there’s hope. Pick up your journal and jot down your reactions to the following facts and ideas:
Problems in Marriages
Strategies for Thriving in Marriage
Have A Question?
Do you…..or a friend of yours….have a question from this article you would like to hear from a professional counselor on?
Use the form below to Ask A Counselor then watch your e-mail to see what #MyCounselorSays
You can see previous questions/answers at MyCounselor.Online/ask
Ask A Counselor
- Ramisch, J. (2012). Marriage and family therapists working with couples who have children with autism. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 38(2), 305-316. 
- Johnson, S. (1986). Bonds or bargains: Relationship paradigms and their significance for marital therapy. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 12(3), 259-267. 
- Collins, N. L., & Feeney, B. C. (2004). An attachment theory perspective on closeness and intimacy. Handbook of closeness and intimacy, 163-187. 
- Neely, J., Amatea, E. S., Echevarria‐Doan, S., & Tannen, T. (2012). Working with families living with autism: Potential contributions of marriage and family therapists. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 38, 211-226. 
- Married to a Man With Asperger’s Syndrome 
- Marriage to a Spouse With Aspergers Syndrome 
Join our weekly newsletter to have a better marriage
Take the first step towards a better tomorrow, today.
Start Your Journey
Learn about how our counseling services work and how to get started.