Sex is God’s idea, true enough. Most of us, however, did not get a very good education about sex from the church or our dad’s for that matter. Our ideas about sex came from everywhere but the Bible. We were lead to believe that sex was great fun, but like all things that are great fun were also dirty, nasty, sinful, and wrong. Which makes you wonder why we are supposed to save it for the one we love.
If sex is so great and it’s God’s idea, why are Christians so quiet on the matter?
This article is far from comprehensive, but it’s a good start to a quality, accurate, and Biblical guide to sex for Christian Men. The resources referenced go into a lot more detail and I highly recommend you pick up a copy. I don’t care how old you are, you’ll learn something and it will make your love life better (even if it’s already great).
(You have to watch/listen to the video to get the title.)
Things for a man to consider about sex:
- Competing, achieving, arriving, scoring, hunting, and winning are natural inclinations for men. Sex is not about conquering, achieving, or scoring; sex is about relating.
- Love, passion, and intimacy are not about winning or losing; they’re about how you play the game.
- Sex doesn’t just happen; you make it happen.
- Men connect and feel loved through sex; women desire sex as the consequence of feeling loved and connected.
- A wife is validated by her husband’s sexual interest if that is expressed through connection and affirmation rather than pursuit or expression of need.
- The combination of male constancy and ever-changing, complex femininity is the key to keeping sex alive in marriage.
- Couples who connect physically daily will have more frequent and more enjoyable sex.
- Time allotment formula for a successful marriage: 15 minutes per day + 1 evening per week + 1 day per month + 1 weekend per quarter= successful marriage
- Since a man’s need for connection is not felt like a woman’s, go her way. Accept your wife’s greater need for nurturing.
- When you genuinely attend to your wife, her heart will open to you, and her sexual attraction to you will increase.
- Sexually, a woman has both more complex body parts and more complex bodily responses.
- For a woman, both physical arousal and emotional readiness are necessary for her to proceed to intercourse and orgasm
- You both win when she learns to listen to her body and go after what she needs.
Formula: The husband adores his wife, his affirmation ignites her passion, and she invites him sexually.
- KEY CONCEPT: Keep your pace lagging behind your wife’s pace in both activity and intensity.
- You can never know whether what worked last time will work this time.
- Marriage is a license to freedom without demand; marriage is not a license to possess and control.
- When you’re mentally outside looking in as you play in the game of sex, you will lose.
- The secret to stopping spectatoring: Remove all demands for response and focus on the enjoyment of your bodies.
- Whenever sex becomes goal-oriented, the body’s response will be affected negatively, and enjoyment will be stifled.
Cliff Penner, Ph.D. and Joyce Penner, M.N., R.N. (Penner & Penner) are some of the most trusted experts in Christian Sex Therapy. Many of the concepts in this article can be found and expounded on in Cliff’s book The Married Guy’s Guide to Great Sex.
Join the Conversation
Comment Rules: We would love to hear your thoughts and answer your questions. Critical is fine, but if you’re rude, we’ll delete your stuff. Please do not put your URL in the comment text and please use your PERSONAL name or initials and not your business name, as the latter comes off like spam. Have fun and thanks for adding to the conversation!
Join our weekly newsletter to have a better Marriage
Take the first step towards a better tomorrow, today.
Start Your Journey
Learn about how our counseling services work and how to get started.