Drunkorexia is a combination of restricting type eating disorders and binge drinking. This extremely dangerous combination of disorders is becoming increasingly common among high school and college age girls.
Reasons for Drunkorexia:
- To feel less inhibited in social contexts.
- Wanting to be skinny at all costs.
- To go out, be popular and party without gaining weight.
- To intensify the effects of alcohol use.
- To “numb out” stress or anxiety.
Fear of rejection ultimately plays a big role in this sort of behavior. The need to feel accepted, good enough, and wanted are powerful motivators of extreme behavior.
Drugorexia takes the well-known habit of using nicotine as an appetite suppressant to a whole new level by abusing prescription and illicit drugs as a means to manage body image.
- What is an Eating Disorder?
- What Is Bulimia?
- Binge Eating Disorder
- How Anxiety Fuels Eating Disorders
- How to Help a Loved One Struggling with Bulimia
- Helpful Tips For Family Members Of Eating Disorder Suffers
- Why Would Someone Cut Themselves
- Eating Disorder Counseling
- Online Eating Disorder Treatment
- Category > Eating Disorder Counseling
Take the first step towards a better tomorrow, today.
Start Your Journey
Learn about how our counseling services work and how to get started.